Pages

Search & Win

Friday, April 27, 2012

That's Just the Life

I put Patrick down in his bassinet for a nap today and after fussing for a few minutes, he went to sleep. It was only a 45-minute nap, but that's a first. Normally, he has to be nursed or rocked to sleep. Letting a baby get accustomed to nursing to sleep is a bad habit. It just happened that he fell asleep every time he nursed and it where he would only go to sleep while nursing. But what that means is that I'm pretty much tied to wherever I was sitting when he fell asleep. Anywhere that is comfy enough to nurse is difficult to get up from when he falls asleep without waking him up. It's not often I have time in the middle of the day to relax and do adult things (like eat, shower, laundry) without a baby on my hip. Patrick demands constant attention. If he allows me to take a shower, he expects to play peek-a-boo the entire time. It's no wonder I've forgotten to wash the shampoo out of my hair before.


It never ceases to amaze me what a wonderful brother Patrick has. Austin asked for a brother or sister (but mostly brother) for years, but I was concerned with how he would treat a younger sibling. I was terrified that he would be jealous of Patrick the way he was with other babies when he was younger. Or that he would be too rough with him. Or that he would just ignore Patrick because he's so little and fragile. We spent most of my pregnancy trying to explain to Austin that his brother wouldn't be his age, ever, and that it would be awhile before he would really be able to play with him. My concerns were well-founded, but unwarranted. Austin is amazing. He entertains his brother while I'm cooking dinner. He sings to Patrick (most often Take Me Out To The Ballgame without the middle lyrics). He wants to hug and kiss him all the time. The first thing he asks when I pick him up from school is 'how was Patrick's day?' During the week Patrick doesn't wake up until Austin has left for school, but on the weekends, he comes to see his brother as soon as he wakes up. He does have some trouble being quiet when Patrick is napping, but what child doesn't. And he has to be reminded occasionally to be gentle with Patrick. But Austin has far exceeded my expectations. I'm so proud of him.
Entertaining each other while Mommy tries on clothes

Heather has been tutoring Austin 1-2 days a week for a few weeks now and I'm impressed with the results. For the first time in months, Austin brought home test papers with only As, Bs, and Cs. He even made a 104 on his spelling test. Math is his trouble subject right now, and that's the subject in which Heather is tutoring him, but I was exceptionally proud of him for that spelling test.

I'm glad the weather is clearing up. Patrick is so much happier when we can go outside. I think the boys and I will go to the park this afternoon. It's a beautiful day-sunny, warm without being hot, and not too breezy. Perfect day for the park.

Jonny is overly anxious for the new toys to get here. He asks me every day what the tracking information says. And he's disappointed when he checks the mail and they're not there. It arrived this afternoon (with a new cloth diaper from Fuzzibunz). I bought a Lenovo IdeaPad from Amazon with my earnings. It's pretty awesome. I love my new toy. Well, when Jonny lets me play with it.


No comments: